A light and bright vinaigrette adds a layer of complexity to a fresh cucumber and tomato salad.
Cucumber., Tomato, and Herb Salad
Makes 6 to 8 Servings
- 1 large seedless English cucumber
- 3 medium heirloom tomatoes, cut into wedges (about 4 cups)
- 2 cups assorted cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into 2-inch strips (about 1 cup)
- 1 orange bell pepper, cut into 2-inch strips (about 1 cup)
- ½ medium red onion, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 (8-ounce) block fontina cheese, cut into ½-inch cubes
- ¾ cup torn fresh basil
- Tarragon-Shallot Vinaigrette (recipe follows)
- ¼ cup Champagne vinegar
- 2½ tablespoons minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup olive oil
- Using a zester, vegetable peeler, or fork, score length of cucumber to create a striped effect. Remove ends, and cut into ¼-inch rounds.
- In a large bowl, combine cucumber, all tomatoes, bell peppers, onion, and cheese. Sprinkle with basil. Pour half of Tarragon-Shallot Vinaigrette over salad, gently tossing to coat. Serve immediately with remaining vinaigrette.
- In a medium bowl, combine vinegar, shallot, garlic, tarragon, salt, and pepper. Whisk in oil in a slow, steady stream until combined. Refrigerate until ready to use.