Double-Cut Pork Chop
Author: Chef Isaac Toups of Toups' Meatery
- 8 cups water
- 1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 cup kosher salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (5-pound) bag ice
- 4 (1½-pound) double-cut pork chops
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1½ teaspoons ground black pepper
- Dirty Rice, recipe follows
- Cane Syrup Gastrique, recipe follows
- Garnish: sliced green onion
- In a large Dutch oven, combine 8 cups water, sugar, kosher salt, and bay leaves; bring to a boil over high heat. Remove from heat, and add ice until mixture reaches 1½ gallons. Place pork chops in brine, cover, and refrigerate 24 to 48 hours.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat (350° to 400°).
- Pat pork chops dry with paper towels, and season liberally with salt and pepper; grill until a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest section reads 145°, about 10 minutes per side. Remove pork chops from grill, and let rest 5 minutes.
- Place a generous scoop of Dirty Rice on each plate. Add a warm pork chop, and top with Cane Syrup Gastrique. Garnish with green onion, if desired.
Serving size: 4 Calories: 686 Fat: 21g Saturated fat: 5g Unsaturated fat: 8g Carbohydrates: 66g Sugar: 54g Sodium: 29405mg Fiber: 1g Protein: 56g Cholesterol: 171mg
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ pound ground brisket
- ½ pound ground pork
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¾ cup chicken stock, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 cups cooked aromatic white rice, such as Jazzmen
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a small heavy skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add flour, and cook, stirring, until a dark brown roux forms. Transfer roux to a heatproof bowl, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine brisket, pork, salt, cumin, black pepper, paprika, and cayenne.
- In large Dutch oven over medium-high heat, add meat mixture and cook until browned. Continue cooking until brown bits develop on bottom of pan. Deglaze pan with ½ cup chicken stock, stirring and scraping the bottom. Add garlic and roux. Reduce heat to medium, and cook 20 minutes, adding remaining ¼ cup chicken stock as needed to keep the meat mixture from drying out. Add rice and butter, mixing well.
Serving size: 4 Calories: 599 Fat: 28g Saturated fat: 9g Unsaturated fat: 17g Carbohydrates: 46g Sugar: 1g Sodium: 589mg Fiber: 1g Protein: 37g Cholesterol: 115mg
Cane Syrup Gastrique
- 1 cup cane syrup, such as Steen’s
- 1 cup cane vinegar, such as Steen’s
- In a small Dutch oven, combine cane syrup and cane vinegar. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, stirring, until reduced by half.
Calories: 778 Carbohydrates: 193g Sugar: 68g Sodium: 262mg