Fact: Eggs Benedict tastes better with Crawfish-Tasso Hollandaise.
Eggs Benedict with Crawfish-Tasso Hollandaise
Yields: 6 servings
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2½ teaspoons Creole seasoning
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2¼ cups whole milk
- ⅔ cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 (1-pound) bunch fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 6 large eggs, poached
- Crawfish-Tasso Hollandaise (recipe follows)
- Garnish: sliced chives
- Preheat oven to 200°. Place a large wire rack on a baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, cornstarch, sugar, Creole seasoning, baking powder, and baking soda.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, oil, and eggs. Add milk mixture to flour mixture, whisking until smooth. Stir in Parmesan.
- Preheat waffle iron according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Pour about ½ cup batter (depending on size of waffle iron) onto hot waffle iron, and cook according to manufacturer’s instructions. Place waffles on prepared rack, and keep warm in oven.
- In a steamer basket set over simmering water, place asparagus. Cover and steam until asparagus is crisp-tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain, and season to taste.
- Arrange waffles on serving plates. Top with asparagus, Crawfish-Tasso Hollandaise, and poached eggs. Garnish with chives, if desired. Serve immediately.
Yields: 6 Servings
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 4 ounces tasso, diced
- 6 egg yolks, room temperature
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 8 ounces cooked crawfish tails
- In a small skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Add tasso, and cook until crisp, 5 to 6 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- In the container of a blender, place egg yolks, lemon juice, and Creole seasoning; process on medium speed until thick and pale.
- In a small saucepan, melt remaining 1 cup butter over medium heat until it begins to bubble around the edges. With blender running, immediately pour hot butter over egg mixture, blending until smooth. Add tarragon, and pulse to combine. Stir in tasso and crawfish. Serve immediately.