Fat Tuesday Monkey Bread
Makes 8 to 10 servings
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 (16.3-ounce) cans refrigerated biscuits*, halved
- 1 (11.5-ounce) bag semisweet chocolate morsels
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 3 tablespoons whole milk
- Carnival Sugars (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly grease a 15-cup Bundt pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine granulated sugar and cocoa. Spoon 2 tablespoons sugar mixture in bottom of prepared pan.
- On a rimmed baking sheet, arrange biscuit dough. Place 3 chocolate chunks on each dough piece. Fold dough over chocolate, pressing to seal. Dip dough pieces in melted butter; dredge in sugar mixture. Layer half of dough pieces in prepared pan. Sprinkle with remaining chocolate morsels. Top with remaining dough pieces. Sprinkle with remaining sugar mixture, and drizzle with remaining melted butter.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 1 hour and 10 minutes, covering with foil after 30 minutes of baking to prevent excess browning. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Invert onto a serving plate.
- In a medium bowl, stir together confectioners’ sugar and milk until smooth. Drizzle over cake. While icing is still wet, sprinkle with Carnival Sugars.
*We used Pillsbury Grands! Flaky Layers Original Biscuits.
Makes 1½ cups
- 1½ cups sugar
- 8 drops purple liquid food coloring
- 8 drops green liquid food coloring
- 8 drops yellow liquid food coloring
- Place ½ cup sugar in each of 3 small resealable plastic bags.
- Add purple food coloring to one bag, green coloring to second bag, and yellow coloring to third bag. Seal bags, and shake each until sugar is even in color.