These Firecracker Tuna Tacos will become a summertime favorite.
Firecracker Tuna Tacos
Yields: 4-6 servings
- 1 avocado, halved and pitted
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon prepared wasabi (optional)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 pound sushi-grade yellowfin tuna, cut into ¼-inch cubes
- Firecracker Sauce (recipe follows)
- 32 miniature hard taco shells
- Gingery Slaw (recipe follows)
- Garnish: wasabi tobiko
- In the container of a blender, combine avocado, mayonnaise, wasabi (if using), lime juice, and salt; blend at high speed until smooth.
- In a large bowl, combine tuna and 2½ tablespoons Firecracker Sauce. Taste, and add additional Firecracker Sauce, if desired.
- Place 1 heaping tablespoon tuna mixture in bottom of each taco shell. Add avocado mixture and Gingery Slaw. Garnish with wasabi tobiko, if desired.
Yields: ⅔ cup
- ½ tablespoon katsuo mirin furikake
- ½ tablespoon white sesame seeds
- ½ tablespoon black sesame seeds
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ cup garlic-chile sauce
- 3 ¾ teaspoons shrimp paste
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- In a medium bowl, combine furikake, sesame seeds, and garlic powder. Add garlic-chile sauce and shrimp paste; slowly whisk in sesame oil. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
*Katsuo mirin furikake is a Japanese seasoning mixture of dried bonito and sesame seed that can be found in well-stocked grocers or Asian markets.
Yields: 4 cups
- ½ cup hot water
- ½ cup sugar
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons pickled ginger
- ¼ cup pickled ginger juice
- ¾ teaspoon rice vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 cups thinly sliced Napa cabbage
- ½ cup thinly sliced red pepper
- ½ cup thinly sliced yellow pepper
- ½ cup julienned carrot
- ¼ cup thinly sliced green onion
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- In a medium bowl, combine ½ cup hot water, sugar, and salt, stirring until dissolved. Let cool slightly.
- In the container of a blender, combine sugar mixture, ginger, ginger juice, vinegar, and sesame oil. Blend at high speed until ginger is finely chopped. Cover and refrigerate until cold, up to 1 week.
- In a large bowl, combine cabbage, peppers, carrot, green onion, and cilantro. Add 1 cup dressing mixture, and toss to combine.