In this recipe, crawfish tails and pickle slices are fried until golden and served with rémoulade.
Fried Crawfish and Pickles
Makes About 8 Servings
- 1 cup whole buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 pound crawfish tails, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 (16-ounce) jar spicy sweet pickle slices*
- 3½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning*, plus more to taste
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- Peanut oil, for frying
- Lemon wedges and Creole Rémoulade, to serve
- Garnish: chopped fresh parsley, sliced green onion
- In a large bowl, combine buttermilk and hot sauce. Add crawfish and pickles. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- In another large bowl, combine flour, Cajun seasoning, and baking powder.
- In a large Dutch oven, pour oil to fill halfway, and heat over medium-high heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350°.
- Drain crawfish and pickles. Working in batches, dredge crawfish and pickles in flour mixture, shake off excessing, and place in hot oil. Fry until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Season to taste with Cajun seasoning. Serve with lemon wedges and Creole Rémoulade. Garnish with parsley and green onion, if desired.
*We used Wickles Pickles and Slap Ya Mama Original Blend Cajun Seasoning.
Makes 1 Cup
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup Creole mustard*
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- 1½ teaspoons cane syrup*
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh garlic (about 1 large clove)
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce*
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- In a small bowl, combine all ingredients. Refrigerate in an airtight container until ready to serve or for up to 2 weeks.
*We used Zatarain’s® Creole Mustard, Steen’s Cane Syrup, and TABASCO®.