Put a new spin on a classic sandwich combination with our Fried Green Tomato BLT featuring Garlic-Herb Blue Plate Mayonnaise.
Fried Green Tomato BLT with Garlic-Herb Mayonnaise
Makes 4 sandwiches
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons Blue Plate Mayonnaise, divided
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 small clove garlic, grated
- 6 cups vegetable oil, for frying
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 ½ pounds green tomatoes, cut into ¼-inch thick slices and seeded
- 8 slices lightly toasted sourdough bread, divided
- 8 slices cooked thick-cut bacon, divided
- 8 green lettuce leaves, divided
- In a small bowl, stir together basil, 1 cup Blue Plate Mayonnaise, Parmesan cheese, dill, and garlic. Refrigerate in an airtight container until ready to use, or up to 1 week.
- In a small Dutch oven or 12-inch cast-iron skillet, heat oil over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350°.
- In a small, shallow bowl, place flour. In another small, shallow bowl, whisk together eggs and remaining 2 tablespoons Blue Plate Mayonnaise. In a third small, shallow bowl, stir together cornmeal, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and pepper. Dredge green tomatoes, one at a time, into flour mixture, egg mixture, and cornmeal mixture. Place dredged tomatoes on a wire rack.
- Working in batches, fry tomatoes until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Using a spider strainer or a slotted spatula, transfer to a wire rack and let cool slightly.
- To assemble sandwiches, divide and spread mayonnaise mixture onto bread slices. Place 2 lettuce leaves over mayonnaise mixture on 4 bread slices; top each with 2 pieces of bacon and 2 to 3 fried green tomatoes. Top with remaining 4 bread slices, mayonnaise side down. Serve Immediately.