Deep fried oysters, crawfish, and bits of gator and redfish are the perfect vehicle for a spicy dipping sauce in this Fritto Misto.
Yields: 8 Servings
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups cornstarch, divided
- 2 tablespoons blackening seasoning
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 16 ounces chilled club soda
- 1 sweet onion, quartered and separated
- ½ cup fresh parsley leaves with tender stems
- 8 ounces redfish fillets, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 ounces alligator, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 12 fresh select oysters, shucked and drained
- 8 ounces crawfish tails
- 1 lemon, seeded and thinly sliced
- Spicy Creamy Dipping Sauce (recipe follows)
- In a medium heavy-bottomed stockpot, pour oil to a depth of 4 inches, and heat over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350°.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, 1 cup cornstarch, blackening seasoning, baking powder, and salt. Whisk in club soda just until combined (a few lumps are fine).
- In a small bowl, place remaining ½ cup cornstarch. Add onion and parsley, tossing to coat. Remove onion mixture from cornstarch, and set aside. Repeat with fish, alligator, oysters, and crawfish.
- Dip fish in batter, letting excess drip off. Fry, turning occasionally and separating as needed, until golden and crisp, 1 to 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a paper towel-lined wire rack; season to taste with salt.
- Repeat in batches, frying alligator first, then oysters, onion mixture, lemon slices, and crawfish, returning oil to 350° between batches. Serve with Spicy Creamy Dipping Sauce.
Spicy Creamy Dipping Sauce
Yields: ¾ Cup
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons pepper vodka
- 2 teaspoons lime zest
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Garnish: crushed red pepper
- In a medium bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, vodka, zest, and red pepper. Chill until serving. Garnish with red pepper, if desired.