Steen’s Cane Syrup adds a sweet, complex flavor profile to our Gateau de Sirop.
Gateau De Sirop
Yields: 1 (9-Inch) Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1¼ cups sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3 large eggs
- ¼ cup Steen’s Cane Syrup
- ½ cup whole buttermilk
- Yogurt Glaze (recipe follows)
- Caramel Sauce (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 9-inch-round, 2-inch-deep cake pan with baking spray with flour.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, melted butter, eggs, and cane syrup. Gradually add flour mixture to sugar mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Pour batter into prepared pan, smoothing top with an offset spatula.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Let cool in pan for 15 minutes. Remove from pan, and let cool slightly on a wire rack. Spread Yogurt Glaze onto warm cake. Top with Caramel Sauce.
Yields: ½ Cup
- 4 ounces plain Icelandic-style yogurt*
- 1 tablespoon orange blossom honey
- ⅛ teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients until smooth.
*Greek yogurt may be substituted.
Yields: ¾ Cup
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream, warmed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- In a small saucepan, heat sugar, ¼ cup water, and salt over high heat. Cook, gently shaking pan to stir mixture, until golden brown. Remove from heat; carefully add warm cream and butter, shaking pan to combine. Transfer to a heatproof container.