Break out the french-fried onions. You’ll love the amped up flavor the Slap Ya Mama seasonings bring to this casserole.
Green Bean Casserole
Yields: 8 servings
- 2 pounds fresh green beans, rinsed, trimmed, and halved
- 4 slices bacon, chopped into ¼-inch pieces
- ½ large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2½ cups whole milk
- ½ cup half-and-half
- 1 cup grated sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1½ teaspoons Slap Ya Mama Original Blend Cajun Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon Slap Ya Mama Hot Cajun Seasoning
- 1 (4-ounce) jar sliced pimientos, drained
- 1 cup french-fried onions
- Fill a large stockpot halfway full with water, add a dash of salt, and bring to a light boil. Add green beans, and boil for 3 to 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove beans from boiling water, and immediately drop into a large bowl of ice water. Once beans have cooled, drain and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add onion and garlic; cook until bacon is done and onion is translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Sprinkle in flour, stir well, and cook for 2 minutes. Add milk and half-and half; cook, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens, about 5 minutes. Add cheese, Slap Ya Mama Original Blend Cajun Seasoning, brown sugar, and Slap Ya Mama Hot Cajun Seasoning; cook, stirring constantly, until cheese is melted. Remove from heat; add pimientos and bacon mixture, stirring well.
- In a 1½-quart baking dish, combine green beans and sauce mixture. Stir well, and spread evenly across dish. Top with french fried onions.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Serve immediately.