Our Grilled Eggplant with Herbed Ricotta makes a wonderful summer side dish.
Grilled Eggplant with Herbed Ricotta
Yields: 6 servings
- 1 (15-ounce) container whole-milk ricotta cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- 3 medium eggplant, cut into ½-inch-thick slices (about 3 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- Quick Pickled Squash (recipe follows)
- In a medium bowl, combine ricotta, parsley, chives, tarragon, mint, zest, pepper, and garlic. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat (350° to 400°).
- Brush both sides of eggplant slices with oil and soy sauce. Grill until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Arrange eggplant on a serving platter. Top with Quick Pickled Squash and herbed ricotta cheese. Serve immediately.
Quick Pickled Squash
Yields: about 4 cups
- 2 medium yellow squash, cut into ¼-inch-thick rounds
- 1½ teaspoons mustard seed
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh dill
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup distilled white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- In a 32-ounce glass jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine squash, mustard seed, dill, and bay leaves.
- In a small stockpot, bring 2 cups water, vinegar, and sugar to a boil over high heat; pour hot liquid into jar. Seal with lid, and let stand until cool. Refrigerate until cold, and store for up to 2 weeks.