Redfish is fantastic on this sandwich, but other mild flaky Gulf fish fillets will do just as well.
Grilled Redfish Sandwiches
- 4 (6-ounce) boneless skinless redfish fillets
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, plus more for brushing
- 3 tablespoons blackened seasoning
- 4 brioche buns, halved
- Herb Mayonnaise (recipe follows)
- 2 ripe avocados, halved and pitted
- Butter lettuce
- Lime wedges, to serve
- 2 pasteurized egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime zest
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon Creole mustard
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup vegetable oil or neutral oil
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons drained capers, finely chopped
- Pat redfish fillets dry with paper towels. Brush both sides of fillets with oil, and sprinkle all over with blackened seasoning.
- Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. 3. Brush brioche buns with oil. Add buns to pan, and cook until toasted, 1 to 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Dip a folded paper towel into oil. Using tongs, lightly brush paper towel over grill pan. Place fillets on pan, cover loosely with foil, and cook until browned, about 4 minutes. Carefully turn, and cook, covered, until fish flakes easily with a fork, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer fillets to a plate, and tent with foil.
- Gently remove skins from avocados. Place cut side down, and thinly slice lengthwise, fanning slices flat.
- Spread 2 tablespoons Herb Mayonnaise on bottom half of each bun. Top with fillets, avocado, lettuce, and top half of buns. Serve immediately with lime wedges and Herb Mayonnaise.
- In the container of a blender, place egg yolks, lime juice, mustard, garlic, salt, and pepper; process until combined. With mixer running, add oil in a slow, steady stream until mixture is thickened and well combined, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add lime zest, basil, parsley, green onion, and capers to egg yolk mixture. Process until herbs are finely chopped and incorporated and mixture turns light green. Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days.