Boldly spiced yet super simple to throw together, this grilled okra is sure to become a summer favorite.
Grilled Spiced Okra with Garlic-Lemon Yogurt Sauce
Yields: 4-6 servings
- ⅔ cup whole-milk plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1¾ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- ¾ teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- 1 pound small fresh okra pods, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, plus more for greasing pan
- 8 wooden skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Garnish: flaked sea salt
- Heat a large cast-iron grill pan over medium-high heat; grease with oil.
- In a small bowl, whisk together yogurt, mint, lemon juice, garlic, ¾ teaspoon kosher salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together coriander curry powder remaining 1 teaspoon kosher salt, and remaining ½ teaspoon pepper Add okra and oil tossing until well combined.
- Thread okra onto skewers. Cook until tender and grill marks form, about 3 minutes per side Serve 1 immediately with lemon wedges and yogurt sauce Garnish with sea salt if desired.
Kitchen Tip: For more-distinct grill marks while cooking, lightly weigh okra down with a small sheet tray topped with a canned good. Be sure to use oven mitts or kitchen towels when moving the sheet tray. It can get quite hot over the grill pan.