Served with a crunchy slaw, these fish cakes make an excellent appetizer or a full meal.
Grouper Cakes with Celery Slaw
- 1 pound grouper fillets
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 1 cup crushed saltine crackers
- ⅓ cup minced red bell pepper
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons minced celery
- 3 tablespoons minced green onion
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning*
- ¼ cup canola oil
- Celery Slaw (recipe follows)
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil; lightly spray with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle fish with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon black pepper. Place on prepared pan.
- Bake until fish flakes easily with a fork, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Flake fish into a large bowl; add crackers, bell pepper, egg, celery, green onion, mayonnaise, lemon zest, Creole seasoning, remaining ½ teaspoon salt, and remaining ¼ teaspoon black pepper; stir until well combined. Shape mixture into 8 patties, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to overnight.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Gently place patties in skillet. Cook until golden and heated through, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Serve with Celery Slaw and lemon wedges.
*We used Tony Chachere’s Original Creole Seasoning.