This quick White Bean and Sausage Soup is great for cool fall and winter evenings.
Hearty White Bean and Sausage Soup
A quick White Bean and Sausage Soup.
Write a review
- ½ pound smoked sausage, sliced 1/4 inch thick*
- ½ pound salt pork, chopped
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 3 (16-ounce) cans white beans, drained
- 3 (14.5-ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (10-ounce) can tomatoes with green chiles, drained
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Garnish: fresh parsley and celery leaves
- In a large Dutch oven, cook sausage over medium-high heat until browned; remove and drain. Add salt pork, and cook until brown; remove and drain. Add bacon, and cook until browned. Remove, and drain, reserving at least 3 tablespoons grease in pan.
- Add onion and celery, and cook, stirring frequently, until tender, about 8 minutes. Add beans, broth, tomatoes and green chiles, reserved sausage, salt pork, and bacon, and stir to combine. Bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat to medium low, and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, and cayenne. Garnish with parsley and celery leaves, if desired. Serve warm.
- *For testing purposes we used Conecuh smoked sausage.
Louisiana Cookin https://www.louisianacookin.com/
I think I will try this recipe, thanks!!! 🙂
You had me at “Conecuh”.
Will be making this soon.
This recipe looks really delicious. I didn’t have everything it called for when I tried it this afternoon so I made a few adjustments. In place of the bacon and pork, I used two chicken thighs that I boiled and used for broth. Later I took the chicken out and shredded it, before putting it back in the soup. I didn’t have tomatoes with green chili so I used a can of fire roasted tomatoes. The sausage I used was Aidells Cajun Style Andouille, which was delicious. I also added Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning, as well as fresh garlic and basil from my garden and everything else that the recipe called for. The whole thing turned out really good. I’ll probably make it again soon.
i like the idea with the garlic i love garlic id put it in everything if they would let me
i can’t get conecuh sausage!!!!! i wish i could…… it sounds delicious