If you can’t find baby gold potatoes, try Yukon golds or russets (just cut them in half before boiling).
Makes 6 Servings
- 3 pounds baby gold potatoes
- 3 tablespoons plus ½ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 2½ cups vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning
- ¼ cup sliced green onion
- In a medium stockpot, bring potatoes, 1 tablespoon salt, and enough water to cover to a boil over medium-high heat; cook until just tender, about 6 minutes. Drain potatoes, and let cool for 20 minutes. Quarter potatoes.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add potatoes, and cook, stirring occasionally, until crispy and golden brown, about 15 minutes. Remove potatoes using a slotted spoon, and let drain on paper towels; discard oil.
- In same skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add yellow onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened and caramelized, 5 to 7 minutes. Return potatoes to skillet. Stir in Creole seasoning. Top with green onion. Serve immediately.