King Cake Funnel Cakes
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons whole milk, divided
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- Purple, green, and gold sanding sugar
- In a large Dutch oven, pour oil to a depth of 4 inches, and heat over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350°.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and 2 cups milk. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add flour mixture to milk mixture, and whisk until smooth. Fold in melted butter.
- Pour ½ cup batter into a funnel with a ½-inch opening while covering the opening with a finger. Bring funnel over hot oil, and release your finger to start a stream of batter while moving the funnel in a circular motion to create spiral shapes. Fry until golden brown and slightly puffed, 1 to 3 minutes, turning once. Repeat with remaining batter.
- In a small bowl, whisk together confectioners’ sugar and remaining 2 tablespoons milk until smooth. Drizzle over funnel cakes. Sprinkle with sugars, and serve warm.