Swirled with vanilla and strawberry batters, this pound cake is as beautiful as it is delicious.
Marbled Strawberry Pound Cake
Makes 1 (9×5-Inch) Cake
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1½ cups sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1¾ cups plus ⅔ cup all-purpose flour, divided
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup sour cream, room temperature
- ½ cup strawberry preserves
- 3 drops red liquid food coloring
- Preheat oven to 325°. Spray a 9×5-inch loaf pan with baking spray with flour.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar at medium speed until fluffy, 5 to 6 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together 1¾ cups flour, baking powder, and salt. With mixer on low speed, add flour mixture to butter mixture in three additions alternately with sour cream, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition.
- Transfer half of batter (1¾ cups) to another medium bowl. Fold in preserves, food coloring, and remaining ⅔ cup flour just until combined.
- Using a 1½-tablespoon spring-loaded scoop, scoop vanilla and strawberry batters in a checkerboard pattern into bottom of prepared pan (3 scoops wide—vanilla/strawberry/vanilla to start). Tap pan on a kitchen towel-lined counter 2 to 3 times to settle batter. Create another layer in a checkerboard pattern, being sure to place vanilla on top of strawberry from first layer. Tap pan again. Scoop remaining batter randomly on top. Using a knife, swirl batters together in a figure eight pattern. Tap pan again to settle batter.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 1 hour and 15 minutes to 1 hour and 25 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan, and let cool completely on a wire rack.