Purple, yellow, and green sugars give these Mardi Gras Snickerdoodles a festive feel.
Mardi Gras Snickerdoodles
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1¼ cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 2½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1½ teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup purple sanding sugar
- ¼ cup yellow sanding sugar
- ¼ cup green sanding sugar
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating just until combined. Cover and refrigerate for 15 to 20 minutes.
- In another medium bowl, stir together sanding sugars.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line 4 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Using a 1½-tablespoon spring-loaded scoop, scoop dough, and roll into smooth 1½-inch balls. Toss in sanding sugars until well coated. Place 2 inches apart on prepared pans.
- Bake, one batch at a time, until edges are lightly golden brown but centers still look slightly wet, 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool on pan for 5 minutes. Remove from pan, and let cool completely on wire racks.