Serve this with a frosty glass of milk punch.
Milk Punch Tres Leches Cake
Makes 1 (8-Inch) Cake
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1½ cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream, room temperature and divided
- ⅔ cup sweetened condensed milk, divided
- 1 (5-ounce) can evaporated milk
- 3 tablespoons dark spiced rum, divided
- 1 cup cold heavy whipping cream
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray an 8-inch round cake pan with baking spray with flour. Line pan with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until combined after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with ½ cup room temperature cream, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating until combined after each addition. Spread batter in prepared pan.
- Bake until edges are lightly golden and a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan, and place on a rimmed baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray. Using a wooden pick, poke holes in warm cake.
- In a large measuring cup, combine ⅓ cup sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, 2 tablespoons dark spiced rum, and remaining ¼ cup room temperature cream. Gradually pour over warm cake, allowing liquid to absorb almost completely before continuing. Cover and refrigerate until liquid is absorbed and cake is chilled, at least 3 hours.
- Clean bowl of stand mixer. Using the whisk attachment, beat cold cream, remaining ⅓ cup condensed milk, and remaining 1 tablespoon rum until stiff peaks form.
- Using a large spatula, transfer cooled cake to a serving platter. Spread whipped cream mixture on top of cake. Sprinkle with nutmeg. Serve cold.