These delectable fritters would be a welcome start to any meal.
Mini Crawfish & Corn Fritters
Makes about 38
- 1½ cups mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 cups yellow stone-ground cornmeal
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup club soda
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ½ (15-ounce) can whole kernel yellow corn, drained
- ½ (15-ounce) can creamed corn
- 1 pound crawfish tails, drained, rinsed, and chopped
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Garnish: chopped chives
- In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, lemon zest and juice, chives, brown sugar, mustard, 1 teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon black pepper, and cayenne. Cover and refrigerate.
- Preheat oven to 200°.
- In a large Dutch oven, pour oil to a depth of 4 inches. Heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350°.
- In a medium bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, Cajun seasoning, remaining 1 teaspoon salt, and remaining ½ teaspoon black pepper. In another medium bowl, whisk together eggs, club soda, and sour cream. Add egg mixture, corn kernels, and creamed corn to cornmeal mixture, stirring to combine. Gently stir in crawfish. (Batter will be thick).
- Using a 1½-tablespoon spring-loaded scoop, scoop batter, and fry in batches until golden brown and cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes. Let drain on a wire rack set over paper towels. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet, and keep warm in oven while frying remaining batter. Serve warm with mayonnaise mixture and lemon wedges. Garnish with chives, if desired.