Mini muffulettas are a staple at gatherings in south Louisiana. Prepare these ahead of time and pull them out of the fridge as guests arrive.
Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 6 (3-inch) mini muffuletta buns
- 1¼ cups Italian olive salad
- 12 slices Swiss cheese
- 18 slices pepperoni
- 18 slices hot capocollo
- 12 slices smoked Black Forest ham
- 12 slices mortadella
- 12 slices provolone cheese
- Using a serrated knife, halve buns crosswise; arrange, cut side up, on 1 to 2 parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Divide olive salad evenly among bread halves, about 3 tablespoons per sandwich. (Be sure to include any oil from olive salad.) Layer bottom half of each bun with Swiss, pepperoni, capocollo, ham, mortadella, and provolone. Cover each with top half of bun, olive salad side down.
- Gently press each sandwich down. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours to let olive salad soak into bread. Quarter sandwiches, and secure with a wooden pick before serving.