Frozen cantaloupe cubes make this cool summer cocktail even more perfect for warm evenings with friends.
Minty Melon Mojitos
Makes 6 servings
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup boiling water
- 1 cup packed fresh mint leaves, divided
- 3 cups diced cantaloupe
- 4½ ounces fresh lime juice
- 12 ounces white rum
- Frozen cantaloupe chunks (see note), to serve
- 36 ounces sparkling water
- Garnish: fresh mint sprigs, cantaloupe wedge
- In a small bowl, combine sugar and ¼ boiling water, stirring until sugar dissolves. Stir in ¼ cup mint leaves. Let cool completely. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve, discarding mint leaves.
- In the container of a blender, combine cooled mint syrup, diced cantaloupe, and lime juice; process until smooth. Strain mixture through a fine-mesh sieve.
- Divide remaining ¾ cup mint leaves among 6 glasses. Using a cocktail muddler or a wooden spoon, bruise mint leaves. Pour 2 ounces rum in each glass.
- Fill each glass with frozen cantaloupe chunks or large ice cubes. Divide blended mixture between glasses (about ⅓ cup each). Top each with about 6 ounces sparkling water. Garnish with mint sprigs and cantaloupe wedges, if desired.
CANTALOUPE ICE CUBES: Arrange 1-inch pieces of cantaloupe in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Freeze until solid; transfer to an airtight container, and freeze until ready to use.