These muffins are easy to make and utterly delicious with Praline Caramel drizzled on top.
Monkey Bread Muffins
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup finely chopped pecans
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 (16.3-ounce) cans refrigerated Southern-style biscuits
- Praline Caramel (recipe follows)
- ¼ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup unsulphured molasses
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream, room temperature
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 375°. Spray 11 muffin wells with baking spray with flour.
- In a medium bowl, stir together sugar, pecans, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Separate each can of biscuits into 8 biscuits, and cut each biscuit into 4 pieces. Roll biscuit pieces in sugar mixture, and place 3 pieces in each muffin well. Sprinkle ¼ teaspoon sugar mixture over biscuit pieces in each well; layer with 3 more biscuit pieces.
- Bake until biscuits are golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Drizzle with Praline Caramel.
- In a 2-quart heavy-bottomed saucepan, whisk together brown sugar, ¼ cup water, and molasses until smooth; add butter. Cook over medium heat, stirring gently and constantly, until butter is melted and mixture is boiling. Cook, without stirring, until an instant-read thermometer registers 245° to 250°, 12 to 17 minutes.
- Remove mixture from heat. Add cream, 1 tablespoon at a time, whisking until combined after each addition. Return mixture to medium heat, and cook, stirring frequently, for 3 minutes. Stir in salt, and remove from heat. Let cool slightly before serving. Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks. Before serving, heat caramel in a microwave-safe bowl for 20 to 30 seconds.
*We used Pillsbury Grands! Biscuits.