This crab recipe calls for many cloves of garlic. Once the garlic has been sautéed in butter sauce and baked with crabs, it becomes quite sweet. The garlic can then be spread onto French bread along with butter from the baking pan.
Oven-Baked Garlic Crabs
Yields: 4-6 servings
- 12 whole crabs, cleaned
- 2 cups unsalted butter
- 1 cup olive oil
- 20 cloves garlic (about ½ cup)
- ¼ cup diced onion
- ¼ cup diced celery
- ¼ cup diced red bell pepper
- ¼ cup sliced green onion
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon granulated garlic, or to taste
- Grilled French bread, to serve
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- In a large sauté pan, melt butter over medium-high heat. Pour in oil to prevent butter from burning. Add garlic cloves, diced onion, celery, bell pepper, green onion, parsley, and bay leaves. Stir constantly to prevent garlic from scorching. Add Worcestershire, hot sauce, salt, black pepper, red pepper, and granulated garlic.
- Place crabs in a single layer in a large baking dish with a 1-inch or 2-inch lip, and pour garlic butter mixture over crabs.
- Bake until crabs are cooked to your liking, 20 to 25 minutes. Serve warm with hot French bread.
Note: A bib and lots of paper towels are recommended when eating!