Garlic and Pecorino cheese give this Oyster Pot Pie plenty of flavor.
Oyster Pot Pie
- 8 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½cups plus 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 quart raw oysters, drained (reserve oyster liquor)*
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup shredded Pecorino Romano cheese
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- Garnish: chopped fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- In a 12-inch cast-iron skillet, cook bacon over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove bacon using a slotted spoon, and let drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in skillet. Add onion, celery, and bell pepper; cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables are tender, about 8 minutes. Add garlic; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add 6 tablespoons flour; cook, whisking constantly, until a tan roux forms. Gradually whisk in 2 cups oyster liquor and cream until smooth; cook until thickened, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat; add oysters, reserved bacon, cheese, parsley, sage, thyme, ½ teaspoon salt, black pepper, and cayenne. Bake for 20 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine baking powder, baking soda, remaining 1½ cups flour, and remaining 1 teaspoon salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Stir in milk until just moistened. On a lightly floured surface, pat dough to a ½-inch thickness. Using a 3-inch round cutter, cut 6 biscuits, rerolling scraps as necessary.
- Carefully remove skillet from oven, and add biscuits. Bake until biscuits are golden brown, about 20 minutes more. Garnish with thyme, if desired.
*If oyster liquor does not yield 2 cups, add water or bottled clam juice.
Serving size: 6 Calories: 675 Fat: 52g Saturated fat: 31g Unsaturated fat: 17g Carbohydrates: 36g Sugar: 6g Sodium: 1158mg Fiber: 3g Protein: 17g Cholesterol: 175mg