Peaches are a summertime staple in north Louisiana, where the fruit flourishes throughout the region’s rolling farmland. While we’re content to enjoy juicy peaches on their own, this year we’re highlighting their sweet flavor by adding them to ice cream. Baking the peaches until they are just softened brings out their natural juices and sweetness, and leaving the skin on adds an extra layer of peach flavor and beautiful red and orange flecks.
Peach Ice Cream
Yields: ½ Gallon
- 3 medium fresh peaches, halved and pitted
- 2 tablespoons salted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons clover honey
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk, chilled
- ¼ cup superfine sugar
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, chilled
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. Place peaches, cut side up, on prepared pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk together melted butter, honey, and lemon juice. Pour over peaches, making sure to coat well and fill center of each.
- Bake until peaches are just softened, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, place the bowl and whisk attachment of a stand mixer in the freezer to chill. Finely chop peaches; strain, reserving juice.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together condensed milk, sugar, and vanilla. Stir in 2 tablespoons reserved juice. Discard remaining juice, or save for another use.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat cream at medium-high speed until stiff peaks form. Add condensed milk mixture, and beat until well combined, about 1 minute. Reserve ½ cup chopped peaches. Fold remaining peaches into cream mixture.
- Spoon half of cream mixture into a chilled 2-quart freezer-safe container. Sprinkle with half of reserved peaches. Top with remaining cream mixture, and sprinkle with remaining reserved peaches. Freeze for at least 8 hours or overnight.
I’m making this tonight!! Can’t wait since it’s a no churn I’m thrilled!!! Thanks for sharing.
Glad to hear you’ll be making it! Let us know how it goes, and tag us on social media if you take pictures.
This was amazing! I’ve been craving a smooth peach ice cream like the one you could buy at the Louisiana Tech Dairy Farm when it was open. This is the closest recipe I’ve found! Will be making this again!