A spicy gingersnap crust balances the sweet flavor of the peaches in this creamy pie.
Peaches and Cream Icebox Slab Pie
Makes 1 (15x10-Inch) Pie
- 1 (12-ounce) box gingersnap cookies (about 50 cookies)
- ⅓ cup plus 1½ tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 6 cups chopped fresh peaches (5 to 6 medium peaches)
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1½ teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 (3.4-ounce) box vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cubed and softened
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- Garnish: fresh peach slices
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In the work bowl of a food processor, place cookies and 1½ tablespoons granulated sugar; process until finely ground. Add melted butter, and process until combined. Press crumb mixture into bottom and halfway up sides of a 15x10-inch rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake for 7 to 8 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a medium saucepan, combine chopped peaches, cinnamon, salt, and remaining ⅓ cup granulated sugar. In a small bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons water and cornstarch; add to peach mixture. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until peaches are soft, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat; let cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, combine pudding mix and half-and-half. Beat with a mixer at medium speed until thickened, about 1 minute. Add cream cheese; beat until well combined, about 1 minute. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat cream with a mixer at high speed until soft peaks form. Add confectioners’ sugar and vanilla, and beat until medium-stiff peaks form. Fold 1 cup whipped cream into pudding mixture.
- Gently spread pudding mixture into crust. Gently spread peach mixture onto pudding. Spread remaining whipped cream on top. Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with peach slices, if desired.