Tangy pickled shrimp and a spicy, creamy slaw make a perfect pair in this po’ boy recipe.
Pickled Shrimp Po' Boys with Spicy Avocado Slaw
- 1 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1¼ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 pounds cooked extra-large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup sliced sweet onion
- 8 lime slices
- 2 medium jalapeños, sliced
- 2 Fresno peppers, sliced
- 2 medium ripe avocados (about 5 ounces each), halved, pitted, and peeled
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon lime zest
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning, or to taste
- 1 (16-ounce) package coleslaw mix
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 8 (6-to 7-inch) pieces French bread, split and lightly toasted
- Sliced jalapeño, sliced Fresno pepper, sliced avocado, chopped fresh cilantro, hot sauce, and lime wedges, to serve
- In a large bowl, whisk together vinegar, 1 teaspoon salt, sugar, and cumin. Whisk in oil in a slow, steady stream until combined. Add shrimp, onion, lime slices, jalapeño, and Fresno pepper, tossing to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In a medium bowl, mash avocado until mostly smooth. Whisk in mayonnaise, lime zest and juice, Creole seasoning, and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt. Add coleslaw and cilantro, tossing to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Spoon about ½ cup coleslaw mixture on bottom half of each piece of bread. Top with 7 to 8 shrimp. Serve with jalapeño, Fresno pepper, sliced avocado, cilantro, and hot sauce. Squeeze a lime wedge over filling before serving.