Serving red beans and rice is a great way to feed a crowd on Fat Tuesday.
Red Beans and Rice
Yields: 4-6 servings
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 (14-ounce) package andouille sausage, sliced ¼ inch thick
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 4 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 (16-ounce) package dried red kidney beans, soaked overnight, drained, and rinsed
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon paste
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon celery seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- Hot cooked rice, to serve
- Garnish: fresh parsley
- In a large Dutch oven, cook andouille over medium heat until browned, about 8 minutes. Remove andouille using a slotted spoon, and let drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in pot. Refrigerate andouille until ready to use.
- Add onion and bell pepper to drippings; cook, stirring frequently, until onion is translucent, 8 to 10 minutes. Add garlic; cook for 2 minutes. Stir in beans, 4 cups water, parsley, vinegar, bouillon paste, Cajun seasoning, chili powder, hot sauce, oregano, celery seeds, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until beans are tender, about 2 hours. Discard bay leaf.
- Using a fork, mash beans to desired consistency. Add andouille, stirring to combine; cook over medium heat until heated through. Serve with rice. Garnish with parsley, if desired.