We love this galette both for its rustic charm and its versatility. With a great dough recipe like this one, you can turn just about any seasonal fruit or vegetable into a beautiful free-form pie.
Roasted Beet and Gorgonzola Galette
Yields: 6-8 servings
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¾ cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 5 tablespoons water, divided
- 5 red or yellow beets with stems
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 shallot, diced
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 (4-ounce) package crumbled gorgonzola
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped hazelnuts
- 1 large egg
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, ½ teaspoon salt, and pepper. Using a pastry blender or 2 forks, cut in cold butter until mixture is crumbly. Gradually add 3 tablespoons water, stirring with a fork just until dry ingredients are moistened. Turn out dough, and shape into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Trim stems and leaves from beets; reserve. Toss beets with 1 tablespoon oil, and wrap in foil. Roast for 1 hour. Transfer to a wire rack, unwrap, and let stand until cool. Peel, and cut into ¼-inch slices. Cut reserved beet leaves from stems, and chop. Cut beet stems into 1-inch pieces.
- In a medium saucepan, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add shallot; cook for 1 minute. Add beet stems, and cook until stems are tender, about 5 minutes. Add beet leaves, lemon juice, and remaining ½ teaspoon salt. Stir, and cook until greens begin to wilt. Remove from heat, and let cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On a heavily floured surface, roll dough into a 10-inch circle. Transfer to prepared pan. Top dough with greens and stems, leaving a 1-inch border on all sides of dough. Sprinkle with gorgonzola and basil. Arrange beet slices on top, add hazelnuts, and fold dough edges toward center over filling. In a small bowl, whisk together egg and remaining 2 tablespoons water. Brush pastry edges with egg wash.
- Bake until golden brown, 35 to 40 minutes. Serve warm.