Root Beer Red-Eye Gravy
Write a review
- 1 pound andouille sausage, cut into ¼-inch pieces
- 1 cup diced shallot
- 1 cup diced tomato
- 1 cup brewed coffee
- 1 cup root beer
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 4 cups cane syrup, such as Steen's
- In a 1-gallon stainless steel saucepan, cook andouille over medium heat until cooked through. Drain fat; add shallot and tomato. Cook until shallot is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add coffee and root beer, and scrape all browned bits from bottom of saucepan. Reduce liquid by two-thirds, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add salt and cane syrup; simmer until gravy is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon, 20 to 30 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning, if desired.
Louisiana Cookin https://www.louisianacookin.com/