Root Vegetable and Blue Cheese Galette
Makes about 8 servings
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ¼ cup chopped red onion
- 1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
- 4 teaspoons red wine vinegar, divided
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese, divided
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, divided
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (14.1-ounce) package refrigerated piecrusts, room temperature
- 1 large parsnip, peeled and sliced ¼ inch thick
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and sliced ¼ inch thick
- 1 small red beet, peeled and sliced ¼ inch thick
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Garnish: chopped fresh thyme
- Position oven rack in bottom third of oven, and preheat oven to 375°. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, and 1 teaspoon vinegar; cook until tender, about 5 minutes. In a small bowl, combine onion mixture, cream cheese, 2 tablespoons blue cheese, 1 teaspoon thyme, salt, and pepper.
- On a lightly floured surface, unroll 1 piecrust, and brush with water. Unroll remaining crust, and place on top, pressing to seal. Roll into a 12-inch circle. Spread onion mixture onto dough, leaving a 2-inch border. Alternate laying parsnip, sweet potato, and beet slices in a circle over onion mixture. Sprinkle remaining 2 tablespoons blue cheese over vegetables. Fold excess dough up and over vegetables. Brush dough with egg, and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake until vegetables are tender and crust is golden brown, 45 to 50 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together oil, remaining 3 teaspoons vinegar, and remaining 1 teaspoon thyme; drizzle over vegetables. Garnish with thyme, if desired.