We used New Orleans Smoked Sausage, the first food-retail product whose proceeds go to Hogs for the Cause, in this simple but decadent dish.
Sausage and Greens with Cheese Grits
Yields: 6-8 servings
- 16 ounces Hogs for the Cause New Orleans Smoked Sausage, cut into ½-inch slices
- 1 cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped celery
- ½ cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 (1-pound) bag washed and chopped collard greens
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- Cheese Grits (recipe follows)
- In a large Dutch oven, cook sausage in batches over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 7 minutes. Remove sausage using a slotted spoon, and let drain on paper towels, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings in pot.
- Increase heat to medium-high heat. Add onion, celery, and bell pepper to Dutch oven; cook, stirring
frequently,until vegetables are slightly softened, about 3 minutes. Add sausage, greens, broth, vinegar, and Cajun seasoning; reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until greens reach desired tenderness, 25 to 30 minutes. Serve over Cheese Grits.
Yields: 8-10 servings
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups quick-cooking grits
- 1¼ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 cups shredded sharp white Cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, cubed
- In a large saucepan, bring cream and 4 cups water to a boil over medium heat. Slowly stir in grits, salt, and garlic powder. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low; simmer, stirring occasionally, until grits are thickened, about 7 minutes. Stir in cheese and butter until melted. Serve immediately.
Unbelievable. Serve this for guests and they will never forget the experience.