Sausage with petit pois is basically just a Cajun pot pie.
Sausage with Petit Pois
Write a review
- 1 (19.76-ounce) package bratwurst, such as Johnsonville Original Brats
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1½ cups)
- 3 (15-ounce) cans small green peas (petit pois), drained
- 3 cups hot water, or as needed
- Salt, to taste
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Hot cooked rice, for serving
- In a large saucepan, cook sausage over low heat until slightly browned. Drain on paper towels. Cut sausage into ¼-inch-thick slices, and set aside.
- Drain rendered fat from saucepan, reserving 2 tablespoons in pan. Heat pan over medium heat. Add flour, and cook, stirring constantly, until light brown.
- Add onion, and cook, stirring often, until tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Add peas, sausage, and 3 cups hot water, or more, if desired. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 35 to 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve over rice.
Louisiana Cookin https://www.louisianacookin.com/