Enjoy all the classic flavors of New Orleans’ favorite cocktail in this frosty, summery version.
- 3 ounces rye whiskey
- 3 ounces Cognac
- 2 teaspoons superfine sugar
- 6 drops orange bitters
- 2 cups ice cubes
- ½ teaspoon absinthe
- Garnish: orange twists
- In a freezer-safe resealable container, stir together whiskey, Cognac, superfine sugar, and bitters until sugar is dissolved. Cover and freeze for at least 8 hours or overnight. (Mixture will not freeze.)
- In the container of a blender, place whiskey mixture and ice cubes. Cover and blend until smooth.
- Fill 2 old-fashioned glasses with ice, and let stand until very cold, about 5 minutes.
- Empty ice-filled glasses, and add ¼ teaspoon absinthe to each. Swirl to coat sides, and pour out excess. Pour chilled whiskey mixture into absinthe coated glasses. Garnish with orange twists, if desired.