You can make the slaw 2 days ahead.
Shrimp and Crab Ravigote
Makes 4 Servings
- 1 cup olive oil
- ½ cup sliced green onion
- ¼ cup capers, lightly crushed
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pound jumbo lump crabmeat, picked free of shell
- 2 cups water
- 16 peeled and deveined extra-jumbo fresh shrimp (tails left on)
- 1 tablespoon liquid crab boil
- Spicy Fennel Slaw (recipe follows)
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Garnish: fresh tarragon leaves
- In a large bowl, combine oil, green onion, capers, lemon juice, shallot, basil, parsley, tarragon, mustard, garlic, salt, and pepper. Gently fold in crabmeat until combined; cover and refrigerate until cold.
- In a small saucepan, bring 2 cups water to a boil; add shrimp and crab boil, and cook until shrimp are pink and firm. Transfer shrimp to an ice water bath to stop the cooking process.
- Divide shrimp, crab mixture, and Spicy Fennel Slaw among 4 serving dishes. Serve with lemon wedges. Garnish with tarragon, if desired.
Spicy Fennel Slaw
Makes about 4 cups
- 4 cups thinly sliced fennel
- 1 cup matchstick carrots
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup rice wine vinegar
- ½ bunch fresh cilantro, chopped (about ¼ cup)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons cane vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- In a large bowl, combine fennel, carrots, sugar, ½ cup water, and rice wine vinegar; let stand for at least 30 minutes.
- Drain fennel mixture, and return to bowl. Add cilantro, oil, cane vinegar, salt, and red pepper. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.