Shrimp, Andouille, and Okra Gumbo
Yields: 15 cups
- ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 pound andouille sausage, cut into ½-inch pieces
- ¼ pound tasso, chopped
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 1½ cups chopped green bell pepper
- 1½ cups chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning*
- 1 tablespoon concentrated tomato paste
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 pound fresh okra, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 pound peeled and deveined large fresh shrimp
- 1 tablespoon filé powder
- Hot cooked basmati rice
- Jalapeño Cornbread Sticks (recipe follows)
- Garnish: chopped green onion, hot sauce
- In a large Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Add sausage and tasso; cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Remove sausage and tasso from pan; set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add remaining ¾ cup oil to pan. Sprinkle flour into oil, whisking constantly until combined. Cook, stirring frequently, until roux turns a mahogany color, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Add onion, bell peppers, and celery; cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook for 1 minute. Add Cajun seasoning and tomato paste; cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add stock, tomatoes, thyme, and bay leaves; bring to a boil. Return sausage and tasso to pan; reduce heat, and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Add okra; cook until okra is tender, about 30 minutes. Add shrimp and filé; cook until shrimp are pink and firm, about 3 minutes. Serve with hot cooked rice and Jalapeño Cornbread Sticks. Garnish with green onion and hot sauce, if desired.
*We used Emeril’s Cajun Essence.
Jalapeño Cornbread Sticks
- 1 tablespoon salted butter, melted
- 1 cup coarse-ground yellow cornmeal
- ½ cup self-rising flour
- ¼ cup chopped green onion
- 2 tablespoons minced jalapeño
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1¼ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup whole buttermilk
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Brush wells of 3 (5-stick) cast-iron cornstick pans with melted butter. Place pans in oven for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, stir together cornmeal, flour, green onion, jalapeño, sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, and cayenne until well combined.
- In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, oil, and egg until combined. Add buttermilk mixture to cornmeal mixture, stirring just until combined.
- Remove pans from oven. Sprinkle remaining ¼ teaspoon salt into wells. Divide batter among prepared wells.
- Bake until browned, about 19 minutes. Remove from pans immediately.