This pasta bake is filled with fresh shrimp, butternut squash, cauliflower, and kale.
Shrimp Pasta Bake
Makes 8 to 10 servings
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes (about 2 cups)
- 1½ cups sliced cauliflower florets
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- ½ cup sliced celery
- 3 cups chicken broth, divided
- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
- 1½ pounds peeled and deveined large fresh shrimp
- 8 ounces penne pasta, cooked according to package directions for al dente
- 3 cups chopped stemmed fresh lacinato kale
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- ¾ teaspoon garlic salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Garnish: fresh sage leaves, fresh parsley leaves
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a shallow 13x9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large Dutch oven, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add squash, cauliflower, onion, bell pepper, and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, until just beginning to soften, about
- minutes. Stir in 2 cups broth. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour and remaining 1 cup broth. Stir flour mixture into squash mixture. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Stir in shrimp, pasta, kale, cream, chopped sage, chopped parsley, garlic salt, and black pepper. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake until bubbly, 20 to 25 minutes. Just before serving, garnish with sage leaves and parsley leaves, if desired.