Zucchini yellow squash bell pepper and onion add lots of fresh flavor to this creamy pasta.
Shrimp and Summer Vegetable Pasta
Makes 6 to 8 Servings
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups ½-inch-sliced halved yellow squash
- 2 cups ½-inch-sliced halved zucchini
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 1 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 pound peeled and deveined jumbo fresh shrimp
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 (16-ounce) box penne pasta, cooked according to package directions
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- ½ cup torn basil leaves
- Garnish: shredded Parmesan, crushed red pepper
- In a large Dutch oven, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add squash, zucchini, onion, and bell pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, 7 to 10 minutes. Reduce heat to medium, and add wine, lemon juice, salt, black pepper, and red pepper; simmer until liquid is reduced by one-fourth, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add shrimp to vegetable mixture, and cook, stirring occasionally, until shrimp are pink and firm, about 3 minutes. Remove shrimp using kitchen tongs, and set aside.
- Add cream to vegetable mixture, stirring until completely combined. Cook for 3 minutes. Fold in pasta, Parmesan, and cream cheese; stir until cream cheese is well combined. Fold in shrimp. Sprinkle with basil. Garnish with Parmesan and red pepper, if desired.