This Shrimp and Tasso Soup is bursting with classic Cajun flavors.
Shrimp and Tasso Soup
Write a review
- 3 quarts water
- 2 tablespoons salt, divided
- 1 lemon
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 dried red pepper
- 3 cups white wine, divided
- 2 pounds large fresh shrimp
- 8 ounces tasso ham, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1½ cups diced onion
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- ¼ cup chopped green onion
- 3 tablespoons minced jalapeño
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- Garnish: fresh parsley
- In a large bowl, prepare and ice- water bath, and set aside.
- In a large pot, add 3 quarts water and 1 tablespoon salt. Squeeze juice from lemon into water. Add lemon, bay leaf, dried pepper, and 11/2 cups wine. Bring mixture to a boil over high heat. Add shrimp, and cook until shrimp are pink and firm. Remove from heat. Remove shrimp, and drain, reserving liquid. Place shrimp in ice-water bath, and let stand 5 minutes. Peel shrimp, and add peels to reserved cooking liquid, reserving shrimp. Cook liquid over medium-high heat for 20 minutes; strain mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a large bowl; discard solids.
- In same pot, cook tasso over medium-high heat until browned, remove from pan, drain, and set aside.
- Add olive oil to pot, and heat over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot, celery, bell peppers, green onion, jalapeño, and garlic, and cook, stirring often, until tender, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add remaining 11/2 cups wine and stir, scraping browned bits from bottom of pan. Continue cooking until almost all wine is reduced. Add reserved shrimp broth, remaining 1 tablespoon salt, Cajun seasoning, and pepper. Simmer over medium-high heat for 10 minutes.
- Add reserved shrimp and reserved tasso ham, and simmer 5 minutes. Garnish with fresh parsley, if desired.
Louisiana Cookin https://www.louisianacookin.com/