Rosemary and fennel add major flavor to this Shrimp, Tomato, and Kale Soup.
Shrimp, Tomato, and Kale Soup
Write a review
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 bulb fennel, trimmed and chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bunch lacinato kale, tough stems removed and leaves chopped
- 3 vine-ripe tomatoes, chopped
- ½ cup dry white wine
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 (32-ounce) containers vegetable broth
- 3 (15.5-ounce) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 pound extra-large fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined (tails left on)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons Champagne vinegar
- Garnish: flat leaf parsley
- In a large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, fennel, and garlic; cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add kale and tomatoes; cook until kale is tender, stirring frequently, about 10 minutes. Add wine; cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add flour, and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Gradually stir in broth and cannellini beans. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes. Add shrimp, rosemary, salt, and peppers; cook 5 to 7 minutes more. Stir in vinegar. Garnish with parsley, if desired.
Louisiana Cookin https://www.louisianacookin.com/
Tried this recipe ,couldn’t find the champagne vingar,rosemary and fennel what can you subtitute for those ingredients ,first time wasn’t bad
Glad you tried it! Here are some substitution suggestions:
Champagne vinegar – any white wine vinegar (or even white)
Fennel – 1/2 cup additional chopped onion, and 1/2 cup celery (if you have fennel seeds, add 1 teaspoon fennel seeds in addition to the onion and celery)
Rosemary – you could substitute an equal amount of oregano or basil, or if you’re using dried, use 1 teaspoon.
I tried this recipe today I don’t care for the traditional Thanksgiving meal this year. I followed the recipe and it smells great, but I don’t particularly like it. It’s healthy and I’m glad I made it but this will be a one-time recipe for me.
Love everything about this soup, esp that it’s healthy & punches sooo much flavor. I do make a shrimp stock instead of canned. Thanks for sharing