There aren’t many vegetables that say ‘summer’ quite like okra. These pods find their way into all sorts of dishes throughout the season—from cornbread to gumbo and everything in between. This year, we can’t get enough of simply skillet roasting the okra, and serving it with a spicy and savory sauce.
Skillet-Roasted Okra with Spicy Miso Sauce
Yields: 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 pound small or medium fresh okra pods, halved lengthwise
- ¼ teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, divided Spicy Miso Sauce (recipe follows)
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over high heat. Add half of okra, cut side down, and cook for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook until browned on the bottom, 2 to 3 minutes. Turn okra over, and reduce heat to low; cook until tender, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle with ⅛ teaspoon salt, and drizzle with 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Repeat procedure with remaining 1 tablespoon oil, remaining okra, remaining ⅛ teaspoon salt, and remaining 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Serve warm with Spicy Miso Sauce.
Spicy Miso Sauce
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green onion tops
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons white miso paste
- 2 tablespoons sambal oelek
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 to 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- In a medium bowl, combine mayonnaise, green onion, cilantro, white miso paste, sambal oelek, and lemon juice. Stir in enough cream until desired flavor and consistency is reached. Cover and refrigerate up to 7 days.