Fresh lemon and rosemary add lots of bright spring flavor to this soup.
Slow Cooker Chicken Orzo Soup
Makes About 3 Quarts
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 bone-in chicken thighs (3 pounds), skin removed if desired
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 medium carrots, halved lengthwise and sliced crosswise ¼ inch thick
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary (or ½ teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed)
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 8 ounces orzo, cooked according to package directions
- 4 ounces baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce*
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Garnish: finely chopped fresh rosemary
- In a shallow bowl, stir together flour, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper. Dredge chicken in flour mixture to coat; shake off excess.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Working in batches, add chicken, and cook until browned, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to a 4-to 5-quart slow cooker.
- In same skillet, cook carrot, onion, and bell pepper over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic, thyme, and rosemary; cook for 1 minute. Transfer mixture to cooker.
- Add stock, lemon zest, and bay leaf to cooker. Cover and cook on low until chicken is tender, 4 to 5 hours Remove chicken thighs; discard bay leaf. Let chicken cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, skim fat from cooker juices. Remove skin and bones from chicken. Coarsely shred chickenj Add orzo and chicken to cooker; cook on low until heated through, about 5 minutes. Stir in spinach and hot sauce. Remove from heat. Serve with lemon wedges. Garnish with rosemary, if desired.
*We used TABASCO®.