This pretty paella is perfect for when you’re craving a filling all-in-one meal.
Smoked Sausage and Shrimp Paella
Makes 4 Servings
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ pound sliced smoked sausage
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes, drained well and liquid reserved
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon saffron
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- 4 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- ½ pound peeled and deveined large fresh shrimp (tails left on)
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Garnish: fresh parsley
- In a large braiser or paella pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add sausage, and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic, and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, salt, bay leaves, paprika, black pepper, and saffron; cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through, about 5 minutes. Add wine, and cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid is reduced, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Stir rice into tomato mixture; cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly toasted and aromatic, 2 to 3 minutes. Add reserved tomato liquid, broth, ½ cup water, and parsley; stir until just combined. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, shaking pan occasionally, until liquid is absorbed, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Arrange shrimp on top of rice. Cook until shrimp are pink and firm, tails begin to curl, and rice is tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Discard bay leaves. Serve with lemon wedges. Garnish with parsley, if desired.