Creamy, flavorful, and nutritious, these Southern-Style Vegetarian Black-Eyed Peas featuring Camellia Brand Black Eyed Peas are best served alongside cornbread and collard greens as part of a well-rounded New Year’s Feast!
Southern-Style Vegetarian Black-Eyed Peas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¾ cup sliced sweet onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 64 ounces vegetable stock
- 1 (1-pound) bag Camellia Brand Black-Eyed Peas, rinsed and sorted
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Garnish: fresh oregano, crushed red pepper
- Collard greens, to serve
- In the work bowl of an electric pressure cooker* set to highest sauté setting, heat oil. Add onion and cook until just tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add wine and cook until reduced by half, 3 to 4 minutes. Turn sauté setting off. Add stock, peas, thyme, oregano, bay leaf, salt, and black pepper, stirring until well combined. Lock lid and confirm valve is set to seal. Set cook time to 40 minutes on high pressure. When finished cooking, allow pressure to release naturally.
- Discard bay leaf and stir in vinegar. Garnish with oregano and red pepper, if desired. Serve warm with collard greens.
*We used Instant Pot®.