These Spiced Sweet Potato Squares are perfect for fall.
Spiced Sweet Potato Squares with Brown Sugar Glaze
Write a review
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt, plus more for glaze
- 1 tablespoon minced candied ginger
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar, divided
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- ½ cup canola oil
- ½ cup fat-free half-and-half, or milk
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 2 cups finely shredded peeled sweet potato
- 2/3 cup pecans, toasted and roughly chopped
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ½ teaspoon Madagascar bourbon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Garnish: chopped toffee, toasted pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 13x9-inch metal baking pan with baking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, ¾ teaspoon salt, ginger, pumpkin pie spice, sugar, and ½ cup brown sugar.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, oil, half-and-half, and rum extract; add to flour mixture, and stir until combined. Add sweet potato and pecans, and stir until combined. Spread into prepared pan.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 25 minutes; transfer to a wire rack, and let stand until warm.
- In a small nonstick saucepan over medium-high heat, add cream, butter, vanilla, lemon juice, a pinch of salt, and remaining ½ cup brown sugar; stir until sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat, and continue stirring until smooth. Remove from heat.
- Pour glaze evenly over cake, and garnish with toffee and pecans. Let stand until glaze sets. Cut into squares.
Louisiana Cookin https://www.louisianacookin.com/