Spicy cane syrup makes this quick shrimp dish a total winner.
Spicy Cane Syrup-Glazed Grilled Shrimp
Makes 4 Servings
- ¼ cup cane syrup
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 pound colossal fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined (tails left on)
- ½ teaspoon chopped garlic
- Wooden skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes
- Garnish: crushed red pepper
- In a large bowl, combine cane syrup, green onion, hot sauce, salt, and red pepper. Transfer half of mixture to another bowl, and add shrimp and chopped garlic, stirring to coat. Let stand for 1 hour.
- Lightly spray grill with nonflammable cooking spray or brush with vegetable oil. Preheat grill to medium heat (300° to 350°).
- Thread shrimp onto skewers. Grill shrimp, occasionally brushing with marinade, until browned and firm, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a serving platter, and drizzle with reserved cane syrup mixture. Garnish with red pepper, if desired, and serve.