Squeeze a fresh orange slice over these shrimp skewers to really make the flavors pop.
Spicy Citrus Grilled Shrimp Skewers
Makes 4 Servings
- ½ teaspoon orange zest
- ½ cup fresh orange juice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning*
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ½ teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- ½ teaspoon sliced fresh chives
- 1 pound fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined (tails left on)
- 4 orange wedges, cut in half crosswise
- 4 (12-inch) wooden skewers, soaked in warm water for 30 minutes
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Garnish: orange slices, sliced fresh chives, chopped fresh thyme
- In a large bowl, combine orange zest and juice, oil, lemon juice, garlic, Creole seasoning, red pepper, thyme, and chives. Add shrimp, tossing to coat; cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Remove shrimp from bowl, discarding marinade. Thread 4 shrimp and 2 orange wedges on each skewer. Sprinkle with salt.
- Heat a cast-iron grill pan over medium-high heat. Add skewers, and cook until shrimp are pink and slightly charred, about 6 minutes per side. Garnish with orange slices, chives, and thyme, if desired.
*We used Tony Chachere’s Original Creole Seasoning.