This twist on the classic Sazerac uses equal parts rye and dark rum.
Split-Base Rye and Rum Sazerac
Makes 1 Serving
- 1 teaspoon firmly packed light brown sugar
- ¼ ounce Peychaud’s Aperitivo
- 3 dashes Angostura bitters
- 1 ounce Sazerac Rye
- 1 ounce Bayou Rum Select
- ¼ ounce Legendre Herbsaint
- Garnish: lemon peel
- Fill a lowball glass with ice, and set aside.
- In a pint glass, add brown sugar, Peychaud’s Aperitivo, and Angostura bitters. Muddle until sugar is mostly dissolved, 20 to 30 times. Add rye and rum, and set aside.
- Discard ice from lowball glass, and add Legendre Herbsaint. Swirl until glass is fragrant; discard remaining liquid.
- Add ice to brown sugar mixture, and stir vigorously until drink is very cold, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Strain into lowball glass. Garnish with lemon peel, if desired.